Saturday, July 7, 2012

I'Saloni - What an Experience


Planning for the Milan trip was quite hectic, simply because the planning took place at the last minute. Plane tickets were hard to get as there were limited airlines flying to Malpensa or Linate airport. Well this is my first trip to Milan and to I’Saloni per say. The excitement of physically being present at the fair was dramatic simply because it is the design capital of the world.

I was not alone, as my friend who is fondly known as Hani, an Architect joined me for this wonderful journey of experience. I was telling to myself, I need plenty of grey matter to absorb, discuss and retain what I will be exposed to at this wonderful fair on architecture, interior design and product design. Of course a camera, a roller bag and a pair of great walking shoes were our companion throughout the journey. Click here and there and the adrenalin of excitement were gushing thru us.

Our first day started with a train ride to Renate which is the final station in to the show grounds which is huge and very well organized to cater for the growing number of visitors ever year. The crowd looked like little ants marching in several files. Imagine the feeling at Milan, hungry to know what are being displayed to wet our appetites from all types of Italian and European furniture, bath and kitchen products.

My understanding and observation on the success of this show and have survived for 51 years is the congregation of designers, architects, buyers, distributors, manufacturers, space planners and of course journalists who are presented not only with newly designed products but a life style. Visiting the different booths and having little chats, collecting brochures, feeling the product and of course clicking for pictures gives you a connected feeling with a life style being presented.


Author at the main entrance to iSaloni 2012 Exhibition - Fiero Milano, Milan, Italy.


The fair houses 22 buildings and offers an extensive space to more than 1600 vendors to display their products. We had to be selective and go to the booths that was of interest and important to us because it was impossible to see the entire fair. Honestly we would have loved to go to every booth being our first experience at the fair but we have to be realistic to pick and choose and get the best out of the trip. What is important is it gives a good perspective of the direction of the world of design. 

I will conclude my journey’s story to other Malaysians who are in this industry to make an effort to visit this fair and feel the adrenalin of what design is all about. I will also leave you with pictures of our trail at the fair and hope to write again on more specifics on the designs and what we discovered at the end of our trip.

My journey was so memorable that I had to get to the nearest shoe shop as soon as I got off the plane. My shoes gave way and told me that it is so exhausted that it split between the sole and the upper part of the shoe which goes to tell you the amount of walking that we had done.

Meanwhile sit back and please visit our website at fnbwimp.wix.com/fnbgalleria and we welcome your constructive and general feedback. 


With Paolo Zani, Art Director of Warli.

With Shin Azumi, designer or 'Kite' chair for Fornasarig.



No comments:

Post a Comment